To ensure successful a roof replacement, it is important to find a trusted roofing contractor. Most manufacturers provide high quality roofing materials. Only a licensed and experienced roofing contractor can properly design and install a replacement roof for you. Knowledge and experience are essential!
You should always research your contractors qualifications. The following should fall as a general guideline of what to look for, questions to ask, etc:
• Insurance is a must have! Check to make sure they have comprehensive liability insurance. You can always ask your roofing contractor for their certificate of insurance. This should be readily provided.
• Find out if the contractor is licensed by the state.
• Ask about their workmanship warranty. The manufacturer will guarantee quality of materials and the contractor will guarantee quality of work.
• Ask how long the company has been in business. An established company is most often a trustworthy company. They are also more experienced and knowledgeable.
• References. A reputable company should have a reference list prepared. Call some of their references and ask about the things that are important to you in a contractor. For example, workmanship, promptness, job site maintenance and professionalism.
• Does the contractor have its own employees or will they use a subcontractor to complete the labor? All facets of a job are more easily manageable when the contractor uses its own employees versus outsourcing the work.
• Does the roofing contractor walk along the roof and inspect the attic when preparing for the quote? If the contractor does not, this would make it hard to give an accurate quote and address existing conditions. They should also check the attic to examine the condition of the framing.
• Choosing a contractor that is a certified member of builder’s group ensures that the contractor is established and makes it a priority to invest in professional growth.